Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Republic Day

Trinidad and Tobago first became a republic on August 1st, 1976, yet the holiday is celebrated on September 24th because this was the date that the first Parliament met under the Republic Constitution. Whatever the reason, it's a day off! Around 8:30 this morning, Dad, Sparky, and I headed to Maracas Beach, the most popular beach in Trinidad. Sparky was almost attacked by a golden retriever about 10x his size! I saw three new birds: the brown pelican, the cattle egret, and the semi-palmated sandpiper (pictured below). I also saw some repeat birds: black vulture, white-bearded manakin (I'm sure about it now), and the great kiskadee. Birdwatching has made me so much more aware of my surroundings, and what beautiful surroundings they are!


Sparky and Dad

Dad birding

Palmated Sandpiper

Yahaira in her new PJs!

Sparky at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment