Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I've decided that I need to adjust my work schedule a little. Instead of getting in around 9:30, I'm going to try for 8, 8:30 to leave UWI by 4pm. The traffic going home is just short of a nightmare with the construction, crazy drivers and hot sun. We'll see how it goes.

Today was a pretty exciting day! I was invited to attend a workshop about stray dog control in T&T next Wednesday. Representatives from the Trinidad and Tobago Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Animal Welfare Group, and the Ministries of Health and/or Agriculture will be in attendance. I'm interested to hear how the higher-ups feel about the issue. I also got the ball rolling for visiting farms near the University. I may be able to go as early as tomorrow to a sheep, goat, or dairy farm.

I was pretty upset with Sparky today. I shouldn't be because he was just being a dog. I put him on the front porch while I was at work, the same porch where the ruddy ground dove has made it's nest. This evening, Dad honked his horn as signal to keep Sparky in the house as he opens the gate. I went to the porch to give him the okay when the dove attempted to fly through the window and hit the wall instead, eventually fluttering to the floor. She was met by Sparky who was more than ready to play with her. The 15 seconds it took for me to get him away seemed like an eternity. The poor dove just couldn't find her way through the window. I had to bring a floor lamp to the area for her to see her way out. I hope she comes back to take care of her eggs. Yes, there are now two!

Today's pics are all of birds or birds-to-be. I took Sparky for a short walk around the block (this mean 2 minutes of Sparky walking and 10 minutes of me holding him as I walked. I was worried about him being attacked by the many strays in the neighborhood)and saw a new bird, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. I believe it's a female yellow warbler. I also got a decent shot of a blue-grey tanager, likely a juvenile. And finally is a shot of the muddy ground dove's nest with its latest addition.


Yellow Warbler?

Muddy Ground Dove Eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment