Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another long day at the the TSPCA. The day started off better than yesterday, basically without a hitch. We did find out early that one of the dogs didn't make it. This do escaped the kennel and bolted for the street prior to surgery. After 16+ hours and 27 spayed/neutered cats and dogs, we successfully completed the SPOTT weekend. One of the last things that happened was the bombshell that Clair dropped on the group. Chloe, the dog I mentioned in today's earlier post, died prior to surgery, likely from anesthesia. What a huge emotional downer. Readers, you must understand that the owners were very hesitant about spaying her. The daughter and mother cried during the pre-medication process and they never left her side during the 5 or so hours Chloe was at the shelter. It's really a sad situation. My heart goes out to the family.

I made a lot of great contacts today. For my one-month stint in Tobago (TBA), have obtained 3 potential apartment options. I spoke with Kelli from the Humane Society International about my research and exchanged business cards with her. I'm feeling really good about my stray work and hope that I can make even a small change before leaving T&T in July.

I...am...exhausted! Must get sleep. Enjoy some get pics from today.

Note: You're probably wondering why I look like a monster in the above photo. Well, in trying to weigh a 40lb a puppy, she tried to jump out of my arms and into her owner's car and in the process, the nails of her right paw split my lip and left two small puncture wounds on the inner side of my mouth. Oh, and I had the worst allergic reaction to a dog immediately after. I think my immune system went into overload.


Erin and Jasmine doing a spay on a kitten


Beautiful but bad dog, Star


Fetuses from a pregnant kitten


Erin eating a smoked herring sandwich


Bad dog! This girl is the cause of my Quasimodo face.

No comments:

Post a Comment