Tuesday, June 14, 2011

During my visit to Point Fortin for Borough Day, I went on a solo birding adventure through the forest and mangroves. I was lucky to see the Black Hawk Eagle, a rare bird in T&T. As it turns out, a Black Hawk Eagle was shot by a hunter last week and is in dire need of veterinary care. The plan is to send her to the Raptor Trust in New Jeresy. Veterinary surgeons there have agreed to repair and rehabilitate the bird at no charge! How great is it that we can come together for a good cause! If this bird does not get medical attention quickly, it will die of lead poisoning from bullets that are lodged in its body. I hope this ends well.

Just seconds after writing about the eagle, I got a phone call from a man named Neal who read my article about stray dogs in the newspaper. Huh? What article? Turns out the T&T Newsday published my Letter to the Editor. He called to say that I was doing good work. I even got an email from another woman who read the article (I supplied my email and phone numbers hoping that the Newsday would write back). Sweet! Hopefully this gets will help me get the number a large number of participants for my questionnaire study!

Here's the link to the letter.

Plans for the day: call dairy farms in Southern Trinidad, write an article for the Fulbright newsletter, and take the pups to the beach (if Dad can motivate)!



Hands of Kelton Thomas with injured Black Hawk Eagle (courtesy El Socorro Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre)

Sparky, my roaming dog. He loves to take a quick walk at night. Brat.

No comments:

Post a Comment