Monday, June 20, 2011

I got stood up twice in two days! First, by my sister, then by a bird-watching group. Avia was supposed to come over with the kids since Saturday. Plans changed Saturday so she said Sunday for lunch. Lunch came and went, then, at 5 pm, I got a call from her saying that she would call me in about an hour. It is now Monday, 8:30 pm and I still haven't heard from her. Am I upset? You bet I am! I know Father's Day is a Hallmark holiday (I worked for Hallmark so I may have a greater appreciation for it), but it would have been the first Father's Day we all could have spent together: dad with his two daughters and two grandchildren. I'm going to need a few more days to get over this one because it was compounded by the fact that I woke up at 5AM on a public holiday (today is Trinidad's Labour Day) only to be stood up at Chaguaramas. I called the coordinator twice; no response. Fine. I ended up going on two hikes by myself, passing through a golf course on the way! People were up and about at 6AM. I saw several cyclists, golfers, and partygoers who were still going from the night before. Though I was by myself, I did feel unsafe ever. One new bird to the list: the Forked-tailed Flycatcher. What a beauty! 7 more to go!

Dad and I went to Maracas for a couple hours in the late-afternoon. I was trying to get at least 10 questionnaire participants, but failed miserably. Trinis love to talk and I spent about half an hour chatting with a dog breeder. In all, I got 6 participants, 4 locals and 2 tourists. Must go faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment