With the passing of one dog came the birth of six more. While walking around the Temple in the Sea site, I stumbled upon a black and white blob in the bushes. The very friendly Scottish Terrier mix (I'll name her Lassie) gave birth to six adorable pups (what puppy isn't adorable) just a few days ago. When I got close to them, she immediately came by, friendly still but protective of her babies. I was faced with a decision: steal these poor babes away from their mother or let them stay and nurse a for a few more days. I went with the latter. It was heart-breaking to watch the mangy mom with a TVT (transmissible venereal tumor) with her puppy-dog eyes, pleading with me not to take them. So, I'll be back at the end of the week to check on them, maybe give Mom some chow and the pups some milk.
The bright side of the day was that it was low tide in the Gulf of Paria during my visit (not to mention the very bright sun! It was 36 C today!). So many birds were out! Black Skimmers, Snowy Egrets, Little Blue Herons, and Brown Pelicans were seen at Waterloo. I took my first trip to Orange Valley just a few kms south of Waterloo to see what was feeding there. I hit a gold mine. Whimbrels, Black Skimmers, Laughing Gulls, Willets, Little Blue Herons, Brown Pelicans, sandpipers, Large-billed Terns, and probably a few more shore birds that were just out of sight. All of this time, I couldn't figure out where Orange Valley was, and today, I decided to take the first major road south of Waterloo, Bay Road, and ta-da! There it was. I can't wait to go back a few more times before I leave.
UPDATE: Just got a facebook message from my awesome high school friend, Afiya. She's coming to visit at the end of next week!!!!! WOOT!
HUUUUUUGGGGE grasshopper on my windshield.
Mom and newborn pups
So tiny
Lazing in the gazebo
Low tide boats
No comments:
Post a Comment