
I've had some really great days in T&T, but this one may have taken the cake. It all started with some 7AM birding. I met up with John, a man I met at the SPCA who brought his cat, Skitty, in to be spayed. She's the one who was pregnant and has five fetuses removed during her spay. Anyway, John saw my birding book at the SPCA and we exchanged contact info so that we could do some birding around Tobago. John and I started off at foresty area in the south-west part of the island. We didn't see a lot of birds but sure did get a lot of mosquito bites! We moved on to Bon Accord Sewage Ponds, then a beachfront hotel restaurant for some shore birds, and finally to the Tobago Plantations. The Plantations were spectacular! We walked through a mangrove maze to the ocean and saw a bunch of Yellow-crowned Night Herons. Definitely going there again. Thanks, John, for accompanying me for birding!
After about 3 hours of birding, I reunited with Gigi and Brent. We had some lunch and headed to Dominic's Surf Shop for a field trip to a beach and waterfall on the northern coast of Tobago. The trip took a while considering Dominic's car was leaking, the car had no gas and the nearest gas station was closed, and the trip takes about an hour anyway. We finally got to Parletuvier Bay, a neat fishing bay with waves for surfing. Yes, I went surfing! It was so awesome. I actually rode a couple of waves!
After beaching, we drove back so that Brent and Gigi could make it to an Orisha ceremony. I vegged out a bit in the meanwhile. Then, we made our way to Sunday School for some drinks, music, and limin'. Great Sunday in Tobago!

Parletuvier Bay

Walk to Waterfall

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

Mangrove Maze
No comments:
Post a Comment