Saturday, December 11, 2010

I decided to have a day to myself. No Sparky. No people. I drove to Asa Wright Nature Centre about two hours away. Once off the highway, it's a breathtaking drive through rural villages and the Northern Range hills. As soon as I got to Asa Wright, I saw a new bird, the Tufted Coquette! I wasn't quick enough to snap a photo, but I was close enough (about 3 feet away) to identify it. I paid the $10 foreign visitor fee, and made my way to the veranda. Wow. I could easily spend hours there (under a mosquito net). There are hummingbird feeders set up and tables with fruits for other birds as well as the iguanas and agoutis. I was 20 minutes late for the morning walk so I waited around and chatted with other visitors and the staff until the 1:30 walk. In all, I saw six new birds today: the Tufted Coquette, the Cocoa Thrush, White-flanked Antwren (female), the White-Chested Emerald, a glimpse of the Bearded Bellbird, and the Northern Waterthrush. As for repeats, I saw the Crested Oropendola, Bananaquit, White-necked Jacobin, Purple Honeycreeper, Blue Honeycreeper, Blue-tailed Emerald, Trinidad Euphonia, Palm Tanager, Silver-beaked Tanager, Tropical Mockingbird Blue-grey Tanager, White-shouldered Tanager, the Amazonian White-tailed Trogon, and the Blue-headed Manakin. Not bad, but I thought I could get at least 20 new birds today.

I hopped into work to process some dog samples. The plan is to read microscope slides tomorrow then head to Waterloo for Radha's birthday.

I'm taking it easy tonight. Maybe some Google Earth map-making if I stay awake.


Northern Range. My photo doesn't capture the beauty of it in the least.


Green Honeycreeper!


My favorite T&T bird, the Crested Oropendola.


White-necked Jacobin

No comments:

Post a Comment