Daddy, Kaila, and I went to Macqueripe today. It was a rainy day in Trinidad and the road to Macqueripe was flooded like we've never seen before. It gave us the opportunity to drive slowly and see two new birds! My first woodpecker, the Lineated Woodpecker, was spotted with a partner making its way along a tree trunk. While on the shore, I spotted a hawk-like bird high in the treetops. It ended up following us out, and after it perched on the branch of a tree close to the car, I identified it as the Yellow-headed Caracara. I have been pretty bad at identifying birds of prey, but I think I nailed this one, bringing my birding total to approximately 76 different species in two months! I found an article written by some European visitors who did a birding tour in Trinidad for a little over a week and sawover 200 species of birds. I'm in no rush. Quality over quantity so long as I, too, see 200 different species.
Avia invited me to a party tonight but I'm not going for a bunch different reasons. $40US to go to a bar is absurd to me. We probably wouldn't get there until 11, long after my bedtime. And I plan to spend all day at UWI processing samples and working on my presentation. Tonight's highlights will include doing/folding laundry and watching a movie.
Yellow-headed Caracara
Very good blog.
ReplyDelete