Thursday, November 25, 2010


Happy Thanksgiving! It was just another day in Trinidad for me. No turkey. No stuffing. And worst of all, no cranberry sauce. This is the first Thanksgiving I have spent without Mom. She is in Maryland with the family. I'm glad that she is around loved ones for the holiday.

My talk today went well. I was a little worried because I didn't eat lunch or have my daily cup of tea prior to presenting at 1pm today. I said "um" a whole lot, but it started flowing towards the middle of the talk. Many of the vet students I have done field visits with came, and even workers at the TTSPCA were in attendance. I thanked them for coming and immediately asked about Sweetie, the little brown dog I picked up from Waterloo. She's still there but she's a climber. That's bad news because she'll likely climb over a fence and become a roamer again. I can't wait to play with her tomorrow!

Auntie Vilma baked bread and cakes with all proceeds going to the TTSPCA branches in St. James and Scarborough. I couldn't believe that $398TT was raised! People kept coming back for more cupcakes. They were very delicious. Thanks, Auntie!

I hope that I generated some interest in roaming dogs among those in the audience. It was suggested that I present to the Chief Veterinary Office and members of government with titles to which I am unfamiliar. Bring them on!

I took Auntie Vilma and Uncle Terrence on an excursion to Waterloo. I had promised Balram that I would come back on Thursday to pick up some puppies. I was definitely caught up in the moment when I said that. We ended up talking to Balram and Radha for almost an hour. The dogs are the tip of the iceberg there. I found out there are no public bathrooms and no running water to add to the lack of garbage receptacles. Mind you, this is a major tourist destination in Trinidad and "Ministry of Tourism" is plastered on all of the benches at the Temple site. Call it a challenge! I'm shaking things up in Waterloo. Wasn't there a Battle at Waterloo? This will be the tropical island version. Letters will be written. Infrastructure will be built. Coming soon.

I spoke to Mom briefly. She and the fam were carrying on in their usual loud, raucous way. I cahtted with my photographer uncle. He said that my picture of Balram and Radha was a really good one. Coming from him, it's the ultimate compliment. He even said he played around with it in Photoshop. We got to talking about cameras and he said that he found the perfect one for me by Samsung. I'm buying another camera by the end of the year. I can't continue with my rogue photography with just one!

Off to bed. TTSPCA tomorrow.


Wait a minute! When I did I turn into the problem? Balram asked me to feed the dogs for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment