I woke up sometime after 5:00 this morning but did not want to get out of bed. Eventually, I gave myself a goal. After 5 rooster crows, up and out! I wasn't in bed for much longer. The roosters were singing in rounds, it seemed. Crazy birds.Sample collection went smoothly today, though it is a whole lot easy having a partner. Becky B, where are you when I need you? Today's farm had a host of sickly-looking animals, including the cow that had been unable to stand for about two weeks. Another cow had a similar condition when I visited this farm two weeks ago. That cow didn't make it and I'm pretty sure this one will not either. The calves had a rainbow assortment of poop, including yellow with red tinges and liquid wheat germ! Yummy. Two cows had ticks. I didn't get a chance to identify them today. I'll try Thursday.
Avia called to meet for lunch. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: I should warn you that I look and smell like a bum.
Avia: That's nothing unusual.
I literally laughed out loud when she said this. My sister is quite the comedian. I met her and Yis at Trinicity Mall. Yis chose a great spot: Burger King. That's my boy! Avi wanted us to go to a fancier restaurant, Bootleggers (LOL), but I was slightly under-dressed (see photo).
Tomorrow is going to be another long day. I'm off to a farm in Waller Field in the north-central part of the country, over an hour from my home in Santa Cruz. The sweet part is that I'll have a driver for this farm trip. Score! Highway bird-watching! :-)
Heading home to feed Sparky, do today's NYTimes crossword, and rest up.
Addendum: Becky IMed me out of the blue today! She said that Dr. Bowman, my favorite professor, gave me a shout-out in one of his classes (he encouraged students to visit me in Trinidad to see a rare hookworm). Dr. Bowman, if you're reading, there are lots of cats with poop waiting for you!

Wattled Jacanas in flight (adult and juvenile)

Really knowledgeable farmhand, and nice too!

Another farmhand

Think they might have let me in if I whipped out my AMEX card?
No comments:
Post a Comment