Saturday, November 6, 2010

I am convinced that I have the strongest mother in the world. After taking Daniel to the airport and napping on Avia's couch for hours, I woke up and checked my email to find a voicemail from Mom. It was vague; just give her a call. I instantly knew. Ken, her friend many years and partner for the past two years, had died. Ken was struggling with a series of major illnesses: diabetes, kidney failure, blindness, and most recently stroke. He had been in the hospital for a few days and passed away yesterday morning. I say that I have the strongest mother in the world because Ken's death marks the fourth passing of an important being in her life this year. She had to deal with the death of one of her closest female friends from stroke, her father from old age and other complications, her dog of 10 years, and now her good friend of decades. I had a feeling that something was not right when I called her yesterday. Mom isn't the best liar. She did not want to put a damper on Daniel's last day in Trinidad by telling me. Mom, I am so sorry to not be there with you, but know that I am thinking about you and sending my love across the Atlantic.

I came home to a very messy apartment. I did some laundry, mopped, and changed the bed sheets. That was hours ago. The place is still messy! I'm moving like molasses today. Our night out in Woodbrook plus the early morning flight took a lot out of me. I doubt that Avia's birthday dinner is still on for tonight. There is Parang going on later a few blocks away. I'll likely check out the scene then call it a night.


Yahaira, Ms. Fix-It


Avia can cook!


Playful puppies

No comments:

Post a Comment