Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogger was down on Thursday night was I wasn't able to post about the days events. It was actually a pretty eventful yet boring day. I did 60 DNA extractions and only managed to mess up once (I originally had 61). Through a mindless process that I've done many times, I've never tried to do 60 in one shot. It took about 5 hours totally to get them done, which included a lunch and computer break.

My evening was a lot more exciting. My first Trinidad and Tobago Field Naturalist Club meeting! The topic: Birding Areas in T&T. How perfect! Except that I could find the group. I ended up chatting with a stamp collector who also could not find is group. We both gave up after waiting about 45 minutes, but something told me to check the other side of the building. I found them, a group of over 30 bird watchers or, at least, people interested in the talk about birding. I was definitely the youngest person in attendance. Graham White spoke about birding areas in T&T that are important to the region and why they are important. Interesting talk. Glad I went. It set up my birding trip to Kernaham with the group tomorrow.

Afterwards, I met Gigi for our first date. Gigi treated me to a cultural night at NAPA, the National Academy for Performing Arts. Calypso Rose, the first female Calypsonian, perform for us and a documentary about her life followed. I was disappointed for a few reasons. Firstly, I didn't see enough of Calypso Rose. She is an outstanding performer! Secondly, NAPA was in no way packed. How is it that a cultural icon in T&T gets my acknowledgment abroad than in her own country? And lastly, the sound for the movie got messed up with about 25 minutes left. Overall, I enjoyed the night. Thanks,Gigi, for letting me share the experience with you!

Today, I went to see Ma, Dad, and Gita (their daughter) in Gasparillo. Gita, who lives in Canada, is in Trinidad for the week. Before today, I had not seen her in over a decade. We chatted about books, current events, and the debilitating heat in T&T. We also discussed my trip to Toronto when I get back to the US! Not much else happened today except work on my questionnaire and a nap. Sounds like a good Friday to me.


Field Naturalist Club Meeting


Calypso Rose!


Posing puppers


Nita


Gita


Zarabear

No comments:

Post a Comment