Monday, May 16, 2011

MEG IS HERE! Oh, happy day. After a delayed flight, Meg and Anders arrived in Trinidad a little before midnight. I had a celebratory Carib and Stag ready for them. We headed to Gigi's for a "lime" and to meet her friends who are also visiting for a week. As Meg's eyes started to slowly close, I knew it was time to head out. When we arrived in Santa Cruz Sparky and the pups gave Meg a warm welcome! We settled in for the night, and when I went to say good night to Meg in her room, I noticed a little fluffball next to her. That's right: she and Sparky were snuggling.

After a few hours of sleep I woke up to set up the dog carriers mom sent and tried to get Sparky and Zara acquainted with them. I also gave the pups and Sparky treats from their Grandma which included HUGE bones that should last them... say... a couple of days. Meg woke up and we had a light breakfast and lounged around the house until Dad called us for lunch. The three of us headed to the eastern side of Trinidad for the first adventure in "The Adventures of Mig & Meg." For Meg's first dip in the ocean, we went to Salybia Beach, the same beach I went to with Gigi, Thais, and James last week. The tide was high this time, so there weren't any shorebirds except for two sandpipers. Darn!

What I thought would be the highlight of the day happened next. We drove past Salybia to a lighthouse in Toco. The lighthouse was sort of cool, but what captured me was the view from Galera Point, the northeastern tip of Trinidad. We caught the sunset and took in the beautiful scenery that surrounded us. Great place. Dad said that he wants to go fishing there. Ha.

It was getting late and we hadn't eaten and needed to make it to Matura for 8pm, so we headed back and stopped at a series of closed restaurants in search of food. Eventually we found a bar/restaurant that only had chicken and french fries left. With our tummies filled and energy restored to our bodies, we drove the long, bumpy, scary road to Matura. It didn't seem so bad when Dad, Sophie and I went during the day. At night, it seems like a road to an abyss.

We made it shortly before 8. I went to pay for the tour and was recognized by the tour who remembered me from the beach clean-up. We chatted and within minutes headed to the most spectacular event of my trip in T&T.

The moon was full and provided an aura of light for Matura Beach and its nesting sea turtles. What a sight to behold a these giant creatures emerged from the water and made their way to the sand to lay between 80-150 eggs. I named the first sea turtle I saw Simone. I left like her birthing coach and I gently stroked her flipper and patted her head during the laying. She was absolutely beautiful and I felt this very intense connection with this Leatherback and all that was going on around me.

We combed the beach and saw between 10-15 more sea turtles, either making their way to the shore or in the process of laying. We saw a rare hawksbill nesting, only the second one of the season so far. I cannot sum up in words how magnificent and fulfilling it was to see these giant but graceful creatures on the moonlit beach. It is a collection of memories I will cherish forever!


Pucky trying out Zara's carrier.


Pups enjoying gifts from Grandma


Nap time!


Dad at Salybia Beach


Dad and daughter at Galera Point


Full moon


Me and Simone!


Tagging and microchipping the rare Hawksbill


The turtles carve out a nest with their flippers providing a place for their eggs. Shown here is the cloaca, the passageway for the eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment