Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the death of a man who meant the world to me: my grandfather, Hilton Jarvis, aka Beast. Grandpa was definitely a crazy guy, but so multifaceted. The more time you spent with him, the more layers he revealed. If ever I questioned whether or not he cared for me and Mom, all I had to do was step into his home and see all of the cards and pictures we sent him over the years hanging as mobiles from the ceiling. I was devastated by his death last May because I was so excited to have 10 months with him during my Fulbright. Some things are just not meant to be. Today, when I am at the grave site planting flowers, I hope that Grandpa knows how much I miss him and miss the idea of an opportunity to live near him. Rest in peace, Grandpa, though I'm sure you're causing a stir in heaven!

Grandpa and his brothers were part of a musical group called the Jarvo Bros. If you google them, you'll see that the had some popular recordings back in the day. Teo and Geronimo were some of their hits. I once told Grandpa that he was on the internet. He didn't understand. Grandpa never used a computer in his life; his cell phone became a paper weight. I'd like to put some of the Jarvo Bros. tracks on the blog for the next seven days (he died on May 4th but was buried on the 11th).









Before: getting rid of the remaining weeds


After: posing while listening to Teo

No comments:

Post a Comment