Sunday, May 15, 2011

No new bird seen during my trip to Kernaham. This was a huge letdown because I thought I would at least see a bittern! The TT Field Naturalist Club practices birding slightly different to what I'm use to. I'm a little more intense about it. I feel like we wasted a lot of the early morning. We were also presented with the opportunity to pick payayas and that changed the agenda of the trip. It was, however, great to add a new birding spot to my list. Since I was on the eastern side of the island, I decided to make my way to the southeastern tip of Trinidad, Galeota Point. After some stops in Mayaro, I reached the BP compound that block the view/route to Galeota Point. A guard directed me to a footpath that leads to the beach, and from there I was able to see a large project of rock leading into the ocean. I was slightly disappointed by the oil flares and overall understanding of the strong presence of the oil industry in Trinidad, but I was happy for the adventure.

On my way back to the western side of Trinidad, I decided to make up for a slow birding day by going to the Caroni Rice Fields, located on the opposite side of the highway from the Caroni Bird Sanctuary. I met another birder, Anil, there! We saw some Black-necked Stilts, Common Moorhens, and Tricoloured Herons. Anil said that he usually walks the highway to the next exiting looking for birds. Definitely a future plan.

I finally made it home around 3:30, had some lunch with Dad, and prepared for Meg's visit! I can't wait to see what mischief we get ourselves into!


Basking buffalo


Mud volcano at Kernaham


Mayaro


Manzanilla Road. Over a million coconut trees line both sides!


Produce stand

No comments:

Post a Comment