Thursday, May 26, 2011

I love it when there are scheduled power outages in Santa Cruz. The best part is that they are never advertised and just sort of happen. One happened today. I was getting ready to scan my VS16-3 permit application to import my samples at 8:59, when my fan stopped. No fan = heat - mosquito-blower. I panicked. It was a sign that it was time to leave the house. No electricity means that the electric water pump won't provide me with a comfortable stream of water from the shower head. It also means that the gas station can't provide my near-empty tank with gas. Just great. What I don't understand is why there are scheduled outages if there are STILL frequent brownouts! Sigh.

It had been a goal of mine to collect samples from dairy cows I see just about every day as I leave Santa Cruz. On Monday, I took the road just off where they graze to see if I could track down someone who could help. Turns out that guy drives a blue Land Rover and is gone during the day. Today was my lucky day! I passed by the cows and saw the blue Land Rover, so I reversed only to see him coming in towards me. I ended up in front of him and watched the Land Rover make a right-hand turn from my rear-view mirror. DOH! I followed the road and was led to the car. I chatted with Ashter, the Land Rover driver and cattlercaretaker, about my work in T&T. He said it was no problem and that I could come anytime. Sweet. He also said that the other farmers in Santa Cruz all shut down and that Nestle does not take his milk. Good for him!

Short work day at UWI. I set up the remaining 42 samples for DNA extractions.

I came how at 3:30 to find panting puppies. It was probably a 100 degrees today. Oh, and there was still no electricity. Dad went to the beach without me because I missed his calls. I just couldn't stay in the house. Instead, I took the pups and Sparky to the savanna for a run. They had their first encounter with cows! The pups ganged up on a grazing heifer. She didn't like that and retaliated! I'm not sure what happened next, but Nita began to yelp. I'm guessing the cow kicked her. I panicked, picked her up and took her to the car. Surprisingly, the others followed and even jumped in the car when I opened the trunk. WOW! I have sort-of-trained dogs. I forgot that Nita is a whiner and a schemer. She's doing just fine.

The electricity finally came back around 6. Thank God and Honeywell (my desk fan is amazing).


Zara enjoying her new pet carrier


Me and Zara


Dogs in the savanna


Epitome of my research!


So... hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment