Within an hour, Dr. Seebaransingh, Dr. Basu, and Dr. Seepaul assembled to watch as Gerard, the pathology technician, cut open Misty body. Then, eureka! The first worm appeared in the abdominal cavity. It was a male worm with a pretty distinct bursa (I'm certain now that Sweetie's D. renale was a female). He measured 19 cm. After removing the other organs, Dr. Seebaransingh left the kidney intact, well, I should say in place. The right kidney looked more like mashed potatoes than a large red bean! And upon opening the kidney, we were all amazed to find 5 more worms, 4 females and another male.
My first necropsy experience was awesome. Many people have suggested that I apply to vet school after this and I've toyed with the idea myself. After today, I am certain that I don't want to be a veterinarian. I'm perfectly contend with research and learning from afar. I am too emotional to be a vet!
Rest in peace, Misty.
You can see the worms in the kidney!
Female worm and the two kidneys side by side.
No comments:
Post a Comment