Monday, May 2, 2011

During my usual routine of letting Sparky and the pups out this morning, I noticed that Zara looked extra woozy. A second glance confirmed that there was something very different about her face. She looked like a Sharpei! Usually, she has a slender portrait. Today her face was very round. Upon further inspection, her gums were really swollen! I started to freak out. What's happening to Doodle? I immediately remembered that Zara was there when I dropped and broke a bottle of hot pepper sauce on the kitchen floor. She "helped" with the clean up by lapping up the spicy but delicious liquid. I wonder if that could be it? I called mom and she suggested that I give her a bath and put some epsom salts on her face. After looking up "puppy facial swelling" on Google, I made a cold compress and put it on her face for a bit (she's a squirmer), then gave her (and the Nita and Gita) a cool bath. The swelling is coming down, but I'm still concerned. If it isn't gone by tomorrow, it's off to Dr. Adam we go! Though, she does look really adorable with a puffy face.

Busy day today: TTPSCA to figure out which dog has the D. renale infection, meeting with the head of the vet school, and two farms for sample collection.


Zara before a bath and cold compress


Zara after

No comments:

Post a Comment