Sunday, May 8, 2011

Just got back from my weekend in South Trinidad. I didn't know what to expect, but my expectations were surpassed. After picking up Gigi in Acono, were headed down the Solomon Hochoy Highway to its end in San Fernando. From there we headed west with a pit stop in La Brea, Trinidad to see the Pitch Lake, the largest natural deposit of asphalt in the world! I went as a child but really wanted to see it again. It was definitely an experience. Gigi and I had fun scooping up asphalt goo with a stick.

We made it to Point Fortin an hour or so before sunset. Jacob saw us from a bar and guided us to our first beer of the evening. The town was already alive with people. We didn't officially start the shenanigans until about 2am Saturday when we hit the streets to scope out the pre-J'ouvert scene. We officially got started at around 5:30am. What a spectacle. The name of our band was "I Luv My Crackberry." Enough said. After hours of dancing and parading through the streets, we came back to Jacob's and rested for the evening. The others were resting up for a big fete, but I opted to stay to be ready for some early-morning birding. They didn't get back until 6:30! Perfect time for my birding departure.

Five hours of birding led to three new birds (Plumbeous Kite, Black Hawk Eagle, and Collared Plover)and tons of repeats. 30-40 birds seen overall. South Trinidad is a cool area, especially Point Fortin with its oil history. Definitely going to head down there again before I leave!


Pitch Lake bubble wand


Fulbright crew!


Chocolate Monster attacked Eniola


Me and Gigi


Steel drum. TCL Skiffle Bunch.


Pumping black gold.


Wading in the mangroves


Low tide

No comments:

Post a Comment