Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I seem to be getting up earlier and earlier with each day that passes. This morning, I was out of bed by 4:45. I felt it around noon and passed out in the van. I tagged along with a professor and three students on 6 dairy farm visits. I was able to practice my epidemiology skills by giving questionnaires to the farmers. It was kind of fun. The farmers were very willing to supply me with the information and even told me anecdotes about the animals and their experiences. By noon, I was spent and we hadn't even gotten to the fourth farm!

Today was an excellent birding day. The Churchill-Roosevelt Highway seems to be a great birding spot. I saw a hawk-type bird but we were driving too fast for me to even come close to identifying it. Then, perched on a telephone wire was a Ringed Kingfisher! He kind of looked like Woody Woodpecker. The two other new birds were the Least Sandpiper and the Silver-beaked Tanager. I got some decent photos of some familiar birds (see below).

I'm excited to get started on sampling. I missed spending time on farms. I love moos.


Yellow-hooded Blackbird


Bully the Bull


Wattled Jacana

No comments:

Post a Comment