Saturday, October 9, 2010

Morning bird watching was sort of a let down. It took Dad a really long time to get ready, and by the time we made it to the site, the birds were pretty quiet and the cars were very noisy. . I saw the usual Ruddy Ground Doves, Tropical Mockingbirds, Tropical Kingbirds, Smooth-billed Anis, Great Kiskadees, and Bare-eyed Thrushes. I did figure out that I've been wrong about what I thought was the White-lined Tanager. It's actually a White-Shouldered Tanager. I saw the larger White-lined Tanager for the first time today, a male and a female. I was able to identify new birds, the Southern House Wren and a female Blue-black Grassquit, from house birding. After about three weeks of trying to identify a small, fast bird, I'm certain it's the Southern Rough-winged Swallow. Also, I've noticed people walking around with cages that house a black and brown bird. I stopped and asked a man what it was. He replied, "Bull Finch," technically known as the Chestnut-bellied Seed Finch.

Dad and I went to pick up the paint for my room today. We ended up getting a completely different color, Hint O' Mint, but I'm pretty happy with it. My cousin, Charlie, is currently painting. Dad and I also went to the market. Lot's of fruits and veggies, crabs, pig tail and pig snout. Mmmm, snout. I love pig tail, but I'm going to stay away from the snout. I couldn't stay away from the coconut at the market.

Probably staying in tonight. I haven't gone out to a bar (after work that one time) in the three weeks I've been here. I'm turning into a homebody...


Hike through "the bush," aka Santa Cruz


Charlie and his Orange-winged Amazons


Pig tails


Inside Grandpa's shack

No comments:

Post a Comment